University of Ibadan Courses, Requirement, and Admission
University of Ibadan is the first of its kind in Nigeria. As the oldest standing tertiary institution, it is one that is held in high regard and esteem. Despite being such an old institution, it has effectively evolved over time, and it retains its place as one of the best universities in Nigeria today. As a result, thousands of candidates make applications for admission into the institution each year. However, many fail to make the grade, but the few who does, you can trust they are top of the crop.
Since you are here, it’s obvious you are part of the next set of people that are willing to study their preferred course at the University of Ibadan. However, before filling the university of Ibadan as your preferred choice of institution to study, there are important information that will prove critical in journey into tertiary institution. It is important that you know which courses that are available at the university, as well as their requirements for admission.
Knowing the requirements for admission help prepare for life ahead, allowing you to understand how serious you need to be in order for you to gain that admission. It is important to know that as one of the top tertiary institutions in the country, competition for places is high, and the fittest in grades and scores are the ones that scale through.
This article will provide you with the right information to guide you on the right things to do to gain admission.
There are numerous courses available to study at the University of Ibadan. These courses are taught by well seasoned lecturers, Doctors, and professors who provide the best in learning and practical. While there are well-capable personnel to handle each of the courses offered here, it is important to not expect a world class service in terms of facilities and other infrastructures. When compared to other universities, however, you can boast that University of Ibadan is doing great.
For candidates willing to choose the University of Ibadan as their choice of Institution, here is a list of courses available at the institution:
- Adult Education
- Agric Extension And Rural Development
- Agricultural And Environmental Engineering
- Agricultural economics
- Animal Science
- Anthropology (ARTS)
- Anthropology Biological
- Aquaculture AND Fisheries Management
- Arabic Language And Literature
- Archaeology (ARTS)
- Archaeology (SCIENCE)
- Civil engineering
- Classical Studies
- Communication And Language Arts
- Computer Science
- Crop Protection And Environmental Biology
- Dentistry And Dental Surgery
- Education And Arabic
- Education And Biology
- Education And Communication And Language Arts
- Education And Computer Science
- Education And Economics
- Education And English Language
- Education And French
- Education And Geography
- Education And History
- Education And Islamic Studies
- Education And Mathematics
- Education And Physics
- Education And Political Science
- Education And Religious Studies
- Education And Yoruba
- Educational Managements
- Educational Technology
- Electrical And Electronics Engineering
- English Language And Literature
- Environmental Health Science
- Food Technology
- Forest Productions And Products
- Geography (SCIENCE)
- Geography (SOCIAL SCIENCES)
- Guidance And Counseling
- Human Kinetics And Health Education
- Human Nutrition And Dietetics
- Industrial And Productions Engineering
- Industrialist Chemistry
- Islamic Studies
- Library, Archival And Information Studies
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medical Laboratory Science
- Medicine And Surgery
- Micro Biology
- Petroleum Engineering
- Political Science
- Religious Study
- Social And Environmental Forestry
- Special Education
- Theater Art
- Veterinary Medicine
- Wildlife And Ecotourism Managements
- Wood Products Engineering
UI Admission Requirements For UTME candidates
It is important for candidates to understand that to be eligible for admission in the institution, candidates must meet certain requirements. These requirements may vary according to the chosen course of study. Different courses have different requirements students have to meet. For example, requirements might be tougher for a course like Medicine and surgery compared to a course like Yoruba.
Despite the different requirements for admission for respective courses, there are general requirements which all students must meet to be eligible for admission. This is the base level of requirements all candidates must meet regardless of their chosen course of study.
Below are the general admission requirements for UTME candidates:
- Candidates must possess at least, five (5) Credit grade in five subjects (English and mathematics inclusive) in their O’level result (s). This could be WAEC/NECO/GEC or any equivalent result.
- Candidates must make the University of Ibadan their first choice of institution during JAMB registration. UI does not consider second choice candidates when offering admission.
- Candidates must choose the recommended subject combination by the University of Ibadan for their courses in both JAMB UTME and post UTME examination of the university.
- Candidates are expected to score nothing less than 200 in JAMB UTME examination to be eligible for UI post UTME examination.
- Candidates must purchase the university’s post UTME form, participate in the examination. Admission will strictly be performance-based.
Candidates should note that the management of University of Ibadan does not consider results of two sittings in some courses. Though it accepts in some, it is generally advised for students to have all of their results in one sitting. This will help boost their chance of admission, compared to two sittings result. The university exclusively stated that it does not consider or accept two sitting in the following courses/faculties:
- College of Medicine
- Basic Medical Sciences;
- Clinical Sciences;
- Public Health;
As opposed to these courses, every other course available at the University of Ibadan allow results for 2 sitting. Courses such as Agriculture and Forestry, Arts, Education courses, Law, Science, Technology, Social Sciences or Veterinary Medicine in UI requires that candidates possess five credits at one sitting or six credits at two sittings to be offered admission.
UI Direct Entry Requirements for admission
Below are the requirements for direct entry admission into the University of Ibadan (UI):
- Direct entry candidates must possess at least, five (5) Credit grades in five subjects (English and mathematics inclusive) in their O’level result(s). This could be WAEC/NECO/GEC or any equivalent result.
- HND Holders must have a minimum of Upper credit in a relevant Discipline
- OND Holders are expected to have a minimum of Upper Credit in a relevant Discipline
- A Level Candidates must hold A Level Passes.
- NCE candidates must have a minimum of two passes in a relevant discipline.
Applicants are advised to carefully go through this information to determine whether they are eligible for admission in their chosen course or not. Prospective candidates who are yet to sit or register for JAMB are implored to carefully check the right subject combination for their preferred choice of course before completing their registration.
This help guide you against making mistakes which may blow your chances of admission before you begin the journey. For more information on University of Ibadan, please visit the official website of the institution or by contacting the necessary support provided.