UNILORIN Postgraduate Programs, Courses and Admission Requirements
The University of Ilorin is one of the most reputable tertiary institutions in Nigeria. It is a top rated university known for a strict discipline, as well as depth in intellectual personnel. It is no wonder why they turn out exceptional graduates who excel in their respective fields every year. Today, it is among the top ten universities in Nigeria. That alone attests to the credibility of this institution as a pace setter in the education industry.
In recent development, the management of the University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) postgraduate school is hereby inviting candidates to enroll for admission into its numerous Postgraduate programs including the PGD, Master, M.Phil and Ph.D. Degree.
Candidates can now apply to further their education in respective fields of study that cut across several faculties in the institution. Prospective candidates should note that while admission into the Postgraduate program of the school may prove difficult than you would normally expect, it is totally the modus operandi of the school. Candidates should note that it is all worth it at the end of the day, as certificates earned here are held in the highest regard across the country.
To help candidates know more about the postgraduate program of UNILORIN, we will provide you with all the necessary information you need. This range from postgraduate courses available, duration, admission requirements, and so much more. Information within this article will serve as a step-by-step guide to candidates in helping them secure admission into their favorite postgraduate program with much more ease.
UNILORIN postgraduate Admission Form
Applications are invited from qualified candidates for admission into the University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) postgraduate programs. These programs include Ph.D. Degree, M.Phil /Ph.D. Degree, Master Degree and Postgraduate Diploma.
Once it is time to apply for admission into the respective postgraduate programs, the postgraduate portal of the university will be opened by the directive of the management of UNILORIN. A date for application for admission into these programs will be given, usually not more than 3 weeks. Prospective candidates are implored to utilize this opportunity to duly apply for admission.
The process to obtaining the admission forms are outlined as follows:
- Carefully read through the instruction provided on the advertisement of postgraduate programs before completing the application forms online before the deadline date.
- Submit required documents as made available within the instruction provided to the Postgraduate School
- Academic transcript should be made available and sent to the Head of Department where admission is being sought within the given time frame in the instructions.
- Candidates should understand that the institution rarely extends the application deadline.
- Only courses which are made available through the advertisement are available for admission. Registration for courses other than the ones listed in the instruction is at the candidate’s risk.
- Candidates are advised to PRINT out the advertisement and STUDY thoroughly before Commencement of the application process.
UNILORIN Postgraduate Courses
Candidates who intend to enroll for the Postgraduate programs are advised to carefully have a look at the courses available for their pursuance. Each of the courses here have attached to it, it’s corresponding program where it is available for study.
For example, Agronomy is only available for those intending to do a masters program. Enrolling For a PhD in this course will certainly lead to disappointment or in a worst case scenario, a forfeiture of admission.
Listed below are the faculties, courses, and programs in which they are available.
- FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE
Department of Agricultural Extension and Rural Development
- Sc.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Agricultural Extension and Rural Development
Department of Agronomy
- Sc.; Agronomy (with specialization in General Agronomy, Horticulture; Plant Breeding Genetics and Weed Science, Crop Physiology).
- Phil./Ph.D., Ph.D. Agronomy with specialization in General Agronomy, Horticulture and Weed Science.
- Sc.; Soil Science (with specialization in Soil Microbiology & Biochemistry, Soil Fertility and Chemistry, Soil and Water Management, Soil Survey and Land Use).
- Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Soil Science (with specialization in Genetics, Soil Science, Pedology, Soil Survey and Land Use, Soil Microbiology and Biochemistry)
Department of Crop Protection
- Sc.; Ph.D. Crop Protection (with specialization in Entomology; Plant -Pathology).
Department of Animal Production
- Postgraduate Diploma in Animal Production
- Sc.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Animal Production (with specialization in Animal Nutrition, Animal Breeding and Genetics, Animal Physiology, Monogastric Nutrition, Ruminant Nutrition, Animal Products and Processing and Toxicology).
Department of Home Economics and Food Science
- Postgraduate Diploma in Food Science M.Sc., M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Food Science M.Sc. Home Economics
- FACULTY OF ARTS
Department of Arabic
- A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Arabic Languages. M.A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Arabic Literature.
- Department of Linguistics and Nigerian Languages
- A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Linguistics;
- A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Applied Linguistics; M.A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Yoruba Language M.A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Yoruba Literature
- A. Translation Arts
Department of The Performing Arts
- A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Performing Arts (with specialization in Drama; Music; Dance).
Department of Religions
- A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Christian Studies.
- A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Comparative Religious Studies M.A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Islamic Studies
Department of History and International Studies
- A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. History and International Studies.
Centre for Peace and Strategic Studies
- A.; Ph.D. Peace and Development Studies. (with specialization in Conflict Management and Peace Building, Security and Strategic Studies, Peace and Environmental Studies and Peace and Development Journalism)
- A. Peace and Security Studies;
- A. Peace and Strategic Studies. (Holders of first degree certificates with a minimum of Second class Lower divisions)
Department of English
- A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. English
- A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Literature-in-English
Department of French
- A.; Ph.D. French Language
- A. Literature-in-French
- FACULTY OF BASIC MEDICAL SCIENCES
Department of Anatomy
- Sc.; M.Phil./Ph.D. Anatomy
Department of Medical Microbiology & Parasitology
- Sc.; Ph.D. Medical Microbiology and Parasitology (with specialization in Bacteriology, Virology, Mycology, Parasitology)
Department of Physiology
- Sc.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Physiology (with specialization in Cardiovascular Physiology; Endocrinology and Metabolism; Membrane Physiology; Neurophysiology).
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- Sc.; Ph.D. Pharmacology and Therapeutics.
- FACULTY OF CLINICAL SCIENCES
Department of Epidemiology and Community Health
- Master in Public Health (MPH)
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health
- Sc.; Ph.D. Tropical Paediatrics
- FACULTY OF COMMUNICATION AND INFORMATION SCIENCES
Department of Computer Science
- Postgraduate Diploma in Computer Science (PGDCS).
Department of Mass Communication
- Sc.; Ph.D. Mass Communication
- F. FACULTY OF EDUCATION
Department of Educational Technology
- Postgraduate Diploma in Educational Technology (PGDET). M.Ed.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D.; Educational Technology.
Department of Health Promotion and Environmental Health Education
- Ed.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Health Education Master of Public Health Education
Department of Science Education
- Ed.; Ph.D. Science Education
- Ed.; Ph.D. Mathematics Education
Department of Social Sciences Education
- Ed., M.Phil./Ph.D. Sociology of Education
- Ed., M.Phil./Ph.D. Educational Measurement and Research Evaluation
Department of Adult and Primary Education
- Ed., Ph.D. Childhood Education Studies
Department of Counsellor Education
- Ed.; Ph.D. Educational Guidance and Counselling
Department of Educational Management
- Ed.; Ph.D. Educational Management
- FACULTY OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY
Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering
- Eng.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering (with specialization in Soil and Water Conservation, Irrigation and Drainage Engineering; Farm Power & Machinery Engineering, Aquacultural Engineering and Renewable Energy Engineering).
Department of Chemical Engineering
- Eng.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Chemical Engineering (with specialization in Polymer Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Environmental Engineering and Process Engineering).
Department of Civil Engineering
- Sc. Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM).
Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Eng.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering
Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Eng. Electrical and Electronics Engineering (with specialization in Power & Machines and Electronics & Telecommunications).
- D. Electrical and Electronics Engineering (with specialization in Power & Machines and Electronics & Telecommunications).
- FACULTY OF LAW
Department of Common Law
- M; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Common Law.
Department of Islamic Law
- M; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Islamic Law.
- FACULTY OF LIFE SCIENCES
Department of Microbiology
- Sc.; Microbiology (with specialization in Industrial Microbiology; Environmental Microbiology; Medical & Veterinary Microbiology Microbial Physiology).
- Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Microbiology (with specialization in Industrial Microbiology; Environmental Microbiology; Medical & Veterinary Microbiology).
Department of Zoology
- Sc. Zoology (with specialization in Cell Biology and Genetics, Entomology, Fisheries, Cell Biology, Genetics and Hydrobiology).
- Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Zoology (with specialization in Entomology, Fisheries and Hydrobiology and Parasitology).
- FACULTY OF MANAGEMENT SCIENCES
Department of Finance
- Sc.; Ph.D. Accounting M.Sc.; Finance
Department of Marketing
- Sc. Marketing
- FACULTY OF PHARMACEUTICAL SCIENCES
- Sc. Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacy Practice
- Sc. Pharmaceutical and Medicinal Chemistry
- Sc. Pharmaceutics and industrial Pharmacy
- Sc. Pharmacology and Toxicology
- FACULTY OF PHYSICAL SCIENCES
Department of Mathematics
- Sc., M.Phil./Ph.D.; (with specialization in Optimization; Fluid Mechanics; Analytical Dynamics and Numerical Analysis).
- D. Mathematics (with specialization in Optimization; Fluid Mechanics; Analytical and Dynamics).
Department of Chemistry
- Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) in Chemistry.
- Sc.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Chemistry (with specialization in Physical/Inorganic; Organic; Analytical/Environmental).
Department of Physics
- Sc.; Physics (with specialization in Radio Propagation and Space/ Communication Physics, Ionospheric Physics, Solid State and Materials Science; Theoretical and Mathematical Physics, Solar Energy and Solar Radiation Physics, Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics).
- Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Physics (with specialization in Radio Propagation and Space/ Communication Physics, Ionospheric Physics, Theoretical and Mathematical Physics, Solar Energy and Solar Radiation Physics, Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics).
Department of Statistics
- Postgraduate Diploma in Statistics (PGDS).
- Sc.; Statistics (with specialization in Experimental Design, Statistical Quality Control, Biostatistics, Sample Survey and Demography, Multivariate Analysis, Econometrics, Mathematical Statistics).
Department of Geology and Mineral Sciences
- Postgraduate Diploma in Geology (with specialization in Petroleum and Sedimentology – option, Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology – option, Solid Minerals Exploration and Mining – option, Applied Geophysics – option).
- Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Geological Sciences (with specialization in Petroleum and Sedimentology – option, Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology – option, Solid Minerals Exploration and Mining – option, Applied Geophysics – option).
- FACULTY OF SOCIAL SCIENCES
Department of Economics
- Sc.; Ph.D. Economics (with specialization in Development Economics, Health Economics, International Trade and Finance, Monetary Economics, Public Finance and Transport Economics).
Department of Geography
- Sc.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Geography
Department of Political Science
- Sc.; Ph.D. Political Science.
Department of Sociology
- Sc.; Ph.D. Sociology (with specialization in Industrial Sociology; Criminology; Medical Sociology).
- FACULTY OF VETERINARY MEDICINE
Department of Veterinary Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Sc.; Ph.D.; Veterinary Pharmacology and Toxicology
Department of Veterinary Anatomy
- Sc.; Ph.D.; Veterinary Anatomy
Department of Veterinary Medicine
- Sc.; Ph.D.; Veterinary Medicine (with specialization in Large Animal Medicine, Small Animal Medicine, Aquatic and Fish Medicine and Avian Medicine).
Department Veterinary Parasitology
- Sc.; Ph.D. Veterinary Parasitology (with options in Veterinary Entomology, Veterinary Helminthology and Protozoology).
Department of Veterinary Pathology
- Sc.; Ph.D. Veterinary Pathology (with options Diagnostic Pathology, Clinical Pathology and Avian Pathology).
Department of Veterinary Physiology and Biochemistry
- Sc.; Ph.D. Veterinary Physiology
Department of Veterinary Public Health and Preventive Medicine
- Sc.; Ph.D. Veterinary Public Health and Preventive Medicine
Department of Theriogenology and Production
- D. Theriogenology
UNILORIN Postgraduate Programs, Duration, Requirements & General Information
Provided here is the general information which candidates need to know about respective postgraduate programs to be undertaken at the institution.
- Ph.D. Degree Programs
- These are available to holders of M.A; M.Ed.; M.Eng.; M.Sc.; LL.M; M.Comm.H.; and M.P.H degrees
- Requires a minimum of 60% or cumulative Grade Point Average score in candidate’s Master degree program.
- Runs for a minimum period of 36 calendar months and a maximum period of 48 calendar months for full-time candidates OR a minimum period of 48 calendar months and a maximum period of 60 calendar months for part-time candidates.
- Relevant Courses will be taken for the Ph.D. studies where prescribed and a Thesis is required at the end of the Ph.D. Program.
- M.Phil /Ph.D. Degree Programs
- Requires a score between 55.00 and 59.99 percent Cumulative Grade Point Average to be eligible for admission.
- It is available only to full-time candidates.
- The program runs for a minimum period of 12 calendar months and a maximum period of 24 calendar months and a dissertation is produced after the research work.
- Candidates in this program are eligible for conversion to Ph.D. candidature, following a progress assessment report to be made by a Panel of Examiners at the end of the first session of registration.
- Eligibility for conversion into the Ph.D. program requires the candidate to score not less than 60% (aggregate) at the end of the first session.
- Master Degree Programmes
- A.; M.Ed.; M.Eng.; M.Sc.; M.Com.H., LL.M and M.P.H. degrees run for a minimum period of 24 calendar months and a maximum period of 36 calendar months for full-time candidates OR a minimum period of 36 calendar months and a maximum period of 48 calendar months for part-time candidates.
- All Master Degree programs are by course work. This is in addition to a research report at the end of which a dissertation is produced.
- Postgraduate Diploma Degree Program
- Postgraduate Diploma degrees are available to candidates with a Third class (honors) degree.
- The Postgraduate session for Postgraduate program is 12 calendar months. The 12 calendar months start to count automatically from the date of first registration.
- The Program automatically lapses at the expiration of the maximum duration for each program. However, a candidate may apply for an extension of not more than 12 months, in the first instance, subject to a maximum of two such extensions.
- A minimum of first degree in any of the following disciplines from a recognized University: Sciences, Engineering, Social Sciences or the Humanities. OR
- HND in Computer Science or Engineering from recognized Polytechnics with a minimum of Lower Credit; and
- HND in any other discipline different from those indicated above but preferably from Sciences or Social Sciences with a minimum of Lower Credit from a recognized Polytechnic or equivalent Institution, with at least one year cognate experience.
Applicants for Postgraduate Diploma in Statistics shall satisfy one of the following:
- A minimum of an honor’s degree from a recognized University in any of Science and Social Science disciplines;
- HND in Statistics from a recognized Polytechnic with a minimum of Lower Credit.
- The M.A. Peace and Security Studies is OPEN ONLY to participants of the Executive Intelligence Management Course (EIMC) of the Institute of Security Studies, Abuja.
- The M.A. Peace and Strategic Studies is OPEN ONLY to participant in the Executive Management Course (EMC) of the Nigerian Army School of Education (NASE), Ilorin or any other equivalent program approved by NASE.
- The M.Sc. Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) is OPEN ONLY to participants of the Natural Water Institute, Kaduna.
UNILORIN Postgraduate Admission Eligibility and General Requirements
- All Certificates shall be available at the point of purchasing the application form. The National Youth Service Corp Discharge Certificate OR Exemption Certificate should be presented on or before specified date on advertisement.
- Candidates are expected to submit their application forms online together with the scanned copies of their credentials.
- All supporting documents in (i) above and the hard copy of the application form should be forwarded to the Secretary, Postgraduate School, University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Nigeria on specified dates, while the submission of Transcripts of Academic Records should be to the Head of Department where the admission is being sought. The Postgraduate School will not be held liable for any misdirected transcript, please.
- All candidates must have 5 O/L Credit passes, including English Language and Mathematics.
- Applicants for the Master degree program who are graduates of the University of Ilorin and other recognized universities must have a minimum of Second Class Honors Degree (Lower Division) and must be applying for programs in which they have their first degrees.
However, applicants with Second Class Honors Degree (Lower Division) and those with higher classes of degrees seeking admissions into programs outside those in which they have their first degrees may be admitted, provided they satisfy Senate in a qualifying examination to be conducted.
- The least class of Degree for all academic program applicants is Second Class Honors Degree (Lower Division), regardless of the institution where the Bachelor’s degree is obtained. ALL candidates shall apply early for their official Bachelor’s degree transcript to be sent to the Head of Department where the admission is being sought, before the expiration of the stated deadline in (i) above.
- Applicants for the Ph.D. degree program shall have obtained a relevant Master degree of this or other recognized University, with an average weighted score of at least 60%. Short-listed candidates would be required to satisfy the Postgraduate School in the qualifying interviews and assessments by the relevant Department. Applicants are, therefore, advised to interact with the department to which they have applied to ascertain the date of the interview for the Ph.D. degree program. Regardless of the Institution where the Master degree was obtained, all candidates must apply early for the official copy of their academic transcripts to be sent to the Head of Department where the admission is being sought for the purpose of this admission and before the expiration of the stated deadline.
- All Higher Degree candidates that attended foreign Universities, where English language is not the medium of instruction, should submit to the Postgraduate School, evidence of their English Language proficiency, e.g. TOEFL or IELTS scores obtained within the validity period of such certifications.
- Applicants for the Postgraduate Diplomas and Master degree program will be subjected to a written assessment (qualifying examination), irrespective of the class of degree obtained, except applicants from the University of Ilorin with a First Class and Second Class, Upper Division (Honors).
- International applicants (Applicants who are domiciled outside Nigeria, and non- Nigerians, applying from outside the country) shall be exempted from the qualifying examination. However, International applicants applying from outside the country for the Doctor of Philosophy program shall be requested to submit a proposal of not more than 5 pages, giving details of what research they intend to carry out. This should be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org on a given and specified date.
- Applicants applying for any of the Full-time program of the University are expected to present a letter of release from their employers at the point of registration.
How to Apply for UNILORIN Postgraduate Admission Form
- To apply for any of the UNILORIN postgraduate Program, candidates are required to pay a non-refundable fee of N29,000 for Nigerian citizens, while international candidates are required to pay a fee of $200
- Application Forms are to be completed on-line through the postgraduate portal at https://uilpgportal.unilorin.edu.ng/pg_app.php
- All applications will close at a specified date which will be disclosed through different media outlets.
- After successful application, candidates will be contacted through provided email address during their registration process. As a result, it is important for applicants to provide accurate details to ensure they don’t miss out on announcements, dates, and other vital information. Also, consistent checking of emails are expected of candidates.