Tag Archives: NCS

‘Telcos must pay 0.005% cybercrime levy’

 

http://thenationonlineng.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/cybercrime.jpg

 

A professional group, Information Technology Security Professionals (ITSSP), a group within the Nigerian Computer Society (NCS), has said telcos must pay the 0.005 per cent levy specified in the Cybercrime (Prohibition, Prevention, etc) Act 2015 because the fund was designed to train the requisite man power to fight the scourge of cyber-criminals in the country.

Its Executive Secretary, Rogba Adeoye, said the Cybercrime Act was promulgated in 2015 and that component of it which is a fund is actually dependent on the setting up of a board and the board has been constituted since last year. “The Act states that there should be a board in place. This board is charged with the responsibility of managing the fund has probably directed the CBN or they have opened the account which must be in place before you the collection of the fund,” he said.

The Association of Telecoms Companies of Nigeria (ATCON) had threatened to hike service charges should the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) compel its members to pay the Cybercrime (Prohibition, Prevention, Etc) Act 2015, Section 44 that states in Section 44 an establishment of a National Cyber Security Fund. “In Section 44.2 (a), a Levy of 0.005 of all electronic transactions by the businesses specified in the second schedule to this Act. Schedule five categories including GSM service providers and all telecommunication companies and Internet Service Providers are to apply this charge,” according to the law.

According to him, the money is meant to develop capacity in the area of cybercrime issues, arguing that if that was the case, why would the telcos kick against it since they are not the only one that would contribute to it for development.

“We view this seriously and as an advocacy group, they don’t have the right to stand up against a law that was passed and remained only to be complied with.

“ATCON should reexamine its position on this and have a rethink that there is need to develop the infrastructure and human capacity in the area of cyber security. We are of the opinion that development necessary in cyber security will be to secure their networks too,” he said.

According to him, cash are daily lost to cyber-crooks using the infrastructure provided by the telecoms services. “The telecoms operators should not be seen as organisations not cooperating with the Federal Government in the fight against cybercrimes. Sadly, they are not cooperating because the step they are not taking the step they are expected to take. Where is the funding needed to build capacity to tackle cybercrimes going to come from if they insist they will not pay? Everybody needs protection whether you are a telecoms operator, or a private citizen. Cash sent through electronic services does not discriminate. If the necessary steps are not taken to prevent losses, people will lose their money through the cyberspace,” Adeoye said.

NCS, FOU Seize N1.2bn Goods in One Month

 

 

 

The Federal Operations Unit (FOU), Ikeja, of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) has announced a seizure of various types of goods which duty paid value (DPV) was put at N1.2 billion.

Controller of the unit, Mr. Mohammed Uba who disclosed this in a chat with newsmen in Lagos said the seizures were recorded within one month between June 13 and July 24.

Among the items seized were 21 exotic vehicles, 9,504 bags of foreign parboiled rice (15 trailers),436 jerrycans of vegetable oil, 333 cartons of frozen poultry products, 287 bales of used clothing, 198 pieces of used tyres, among others.

Uba said the vehicles currently being detained include: Mercedes benz G-500 (2016), six  Toyota Hiace Bus (2018); three  Lexus Jeep GX460and Lx570 (2017) one  Toyota Hilux (2017); one Toyota Land Cruiser Prado(2016); one  Toyota Hilux bullet proof (2014); one  Toyota Corolla (2018); three Toyota Camry (2016); one  Honda Civic (2016); one  Honda Accord (2016); one  Dodge Charger (2016).

According to him, the duty paid value of the 21 exotic vehicles was estimated at N484,458,778,92 only.

He also disclosed that some of the vehicles were intercepted along Ijebu Ode Expressway while 10 were evacuated from Oluwalogbon Motors at 164 Awolowo Way Ikeja, based on credible information

On some of the cars seized from car shops, he said, the unit was expecting the owners to come forward with documents proving payment of duties to get them released.

Uba said failure to do this will lead to total seizure.

He added, “As I speak to you, nobody has come to claim ownership. Let me use this opportunity to urge the owners of these vehicles to come forward with valid Customs clearance documents otherwise they will be liable to seizure and subsequent forfeiture to the federal government in-line with laws of the land. For the avoidance of doubt, our action is in-line with the provisions of Sections 147 of Customs and Excise Management Act (CEMA) Cap 45, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004 (power to search premises), Section 158 of CEMA, Cap 45 Laws of Federation of Nigeria (power to patrol freely).”

He described as remarkable the seizures of an Iveco Truck with registration number LAM283 LG along Ijebu Ode- Ore Road carrying 498 cartons of CSP Codeine Cough Syrup 100ml with each carton containing 200 bottles valued at N199.2 million

Uba said, “The drugs and the suspects will be handed over to NAFDAC for further investigation and possible prosecution in a court of competent jurisdiction.

The fight against drug abuse and illicit drugs is a collective effort and if all hands are on deck, we will make our nation a drug free society.”

Customs Threaten Severe Punishment over Four Missing Containers

 

 

 

 

This may not be the best times for the officers and men of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) as the service has launched an investigation into the whereabout of four containers that were on transfer from Apapa Port to the Inland Container Depots (ICD) in Kano and Kaduna.

The Zonal Coordinator in charge of Zone A, Lagos, Assistant Controller General ACG Aminu Dahiru, who is in charge of the investigation, said that the NCS would descend heavily on any importer, customs brokerage agent or officer of the service that has any connection with the missing containers.

A total of six containers left the Apapa Port recently on transfer to Kano, four of which were yet to arrive the designated terminal in Kano.

According to the source, checks by the NCS showed that nobody cleared four out of the six containers, while only two were accounted for at the terminal. This was an indication that four of the six containers are missing or have been diverted, under what he described as controversial circumstances.

The source, who did not want his name in print, also disclosed that the zone was trying to unravel the circumstances surrounding some containers that left the Tin Can Island Port, also in Apapa, Lagos, which were later found in a private warehouse instead of the terminal the containers were designated for.

It was further gathered that some containers also got missing about six years ago, precisely in 2012, when the ACG was a Deputy Comptroller serving at the Tin Can Island Customs Command, a development the ACG has described as one, too many.

He warned that in the face of deliberate diversion of containers on transfer, the service would have no other option than to introduce a system whereby the bond paid on containers on transfer by the consignee would be the exact value of the container, as some corrupt people were alleged to be taking the magnanimity of the service for granted.

“There have been several issues on the transfer of containers to terminals in Kano and Kaduna, among several others and in several cases; agents are seen as major culprits in these matters.

“Recently six containers left Apapa Port for a terminal in Kano. On our checks, we discovered that nobody exited the four containers that had already left. When we also contacted the terminal, we discovered that only two arrived to my greatest surprise,” the source said.

He added: “There were also movements of containers from the Tin Can Island Port, Apapa, the said containers did not arrive the terminal they were designated for rather, we traced them to a private warehouse. Definitely we cannot continue like this, I can assure you because this is lawlessness and no society thrive on lawlessness.

“We may be compelled to reintroduce payment on loss of cargo on transfer. For some time now, bond is never close to the value of the consignment and we may likely begin a review of this bond issue, which I believe has become very important and imperative, especially at this time.”

While warning that agents should be careful with what they do with their licences, he however noted that there have been cases where the licences of some agents were blocked for crimes they did not commit, which made him direct that the affected licences be unblocked, warning that the service will not fail to wield the big stick where it has been established that a licence was used in compromising trade processes.

He said the customs leadership had at various time urged importers and their agents to keep their records and processes neat and straight, hinting that the service would re-invigorate its post-clearance audit unit, while warning that the long arm of the law must catch up with those who subverted the system whether now or in the future.

He therefore urged importers and agents to join hands with the service in its quest to enthrone a regime of international best practice in cargo processing at the ports, especially with the deployment of the Nigeria Integrated Customs Information Service NICIS II, which is an advanced version of the Automated System for Customs Data ASYCUDA++, which is also backed by the World Customs Organisation WCO.

Customs Intercepts Export Bound N48m Unprocessed Wood in Apapa

 

Image result wey dey for Nigerian customs logo

 

The comptroller General of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) Strike Force has once again intercepted unprocessed woods worth over N48million in Apapa.

The came barely a week after the strike force intercepted about 3420 bags of foreign parboiled rice smuggled into the country from Benin Republic.

Speaking to newsmen, the Zonal Commander, Zone A of the strike force, Salisu Asaba-Bullah said the unprocessed woods were on the way to be exported out of the country.
Asaba-Bullah who disclosed that the unprocessed woods fell under export prohibition list said the consignment have been seized and are presently under detention.

According to him, “At about 1130 hrs of Tuesday, 3rd July 2018. A team of Headquarter: Strike Force led by ASCl Olaniyan, J. O and others intercepted 4 x 20 Containers with numbers: TRHU 361154-8, MRSU 017398-0, TRHU 336524-9 AND BSlU 299069-8 conveyed on lveco trucks with Reg. Nos LSD 507XS; JJJ 558XV; AGL 530 XA and one unmarked lveco truck respectively along Apapa Axis, suspected to be carrying uncustom goods.

“The Trucks were brought to Federal Operation Unit, Ikeja Government Warehouse where physical examination was conducted on the said containers and it revealed unprocessed wood. A seizure entry was made since unprocessed wood fall under export prohibition list.”

The Forestry Department had in 2016 said the maximum allowable dimensions of unprocessed woods for exports are length 30mm-350mm, width 50mm-360mm and thickness 25mm-345mm.

Also, exporters of unprocessed woods must have all the required permits including, Nigerian Export Promotion Council (NEPC) certificate for exports, strict compliance with the provisions of the extant guidelines for non-oil exports, completion of Nigeria Exports Proceeds form and that of the customs service ,opening of letter of credit for buyers and repatriation of foreign exchange proceeds arising from the approval into the company’s domiciliary account in Nigeria, and all the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) certificate required for the establishment of any company.

The permit to all semi-processed and processed wood exporters, procedures, guidelines and documentation for export of semi-processed and processed wood exporters from Nigeria also includes letters of request from prospective buyers, evidence of permits from the state where the wood will be sourced, pre-visit to the factory site by relevant officers from the Federal Department of Forestry among others.

The critical aspect of the new requirements for wood exports is that, the exporter must own a saw mill where these woods are processed to the required sizes for exports. This will add value and create employment opportunities for Nigerians.

Why CBN, finance ministry are part of WCO training-Yahaya

…Says ‘Form M’ is obtainable in commercial banks
The Apapa Command of Nigeria Customs Service, NCS, has said that the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, and Ministry of Finance were selected to be part of the World Customs Organisation, WCO, national workshop on Time Release Study, TRS, for cargo clearance in the ports because of the crucial roles they play in cargo clearance. AC Yahaya Idris with Apapa Command, who was a participant in the training, said this in a chat with newsmen.
According to him, the ‘Form M’, which is a prerequisite for importation in the country is often obtained in commercial banks. Therefore, the Apex Bank as the Monetary Authority regulating activities of commercial banks automatically becomes part of cargo clearing process.
He said, “For instance, importers may face delay in getting ‘Form M’ and such issue has to be addressed appropriately by the Monetary Authority”.
He went on, “As revenue generating agency, Customs works hand-in-hand with Finance Ministry. For example, Customs cannot issue waiver to any importer but the Finance Ministry is authorised to grant importers waiver when necessary. So, the moment waiver is granted, the Finance Ministry would write to Customs for it to be implemented accordingly”.
He pointed out, “You could see that the WCO training was not just for Customs alone. There were representatives from the office of the National Security Adviser, because that is where End-User-Certificate, EUC, is issued for importation of specific items into the country”.
He went on, “Other organisations involved in the training were National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, Standards Organisation of Nigeria, SON, National Agency for Food, Drug, Administration and Control, NAFDAC and terminal operators among other agencies operating in the ports”.
His assertion, “These groups are important because cargo clearance is not only Customs issue. For instance, when a vessel berths and discharges container depends on when an importer does appropriate documentation and declaration. Also, duty must be paid and the container’s number has to be taken to APMT for confirmation before positioning it for examination”.
AC Yahaya explained, “Sometimes other agencies like SON and NAFDAC have to examine the container as well, depending on the items in it. These are processes outside Customs operations and the container has only 28 days dwell time, after which, it attracts payment of demurrage. Sometimes, there could be an infraction that has to be sorted out in the clearing process”.
His words, “Another thing is that a vessel could berth and would not discharge immediately because when it gets to the anchorage, it does not enter the berth fully. At times the vessel would still be under the control of Nigerian Ports Authority, NPA.
“So, the essence of the workshop is to find out where the loopholes are, in order to address them effectively. The target is to ensure speedy cargo clearance in line with the Executive Order of the Federal Government, on ease of doing business in the ports. This is important because you cannot remove cargo clearance from ease of doing business at the ports”.

Nigerian Customs generates N556.7bn revenue in 6 months

 

 

The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) says it has generated N556.7 billion revenue from January to June as against N486.7 billion in the same period in 2017.
The Public Relations Officer (PRO) of NCS, Mr Joseph Attah announced this in a statement on Tuesday in Abuja.

He said the Service also made 1,927 seizures from January to June as against 3,798 seizures in same period in 2017.

This shows increasing level of compliance, giving rise to more revenue and less seizures.
“There are some strategic actions taken that were responsible for the positive difference of N70 billion.

“This includes blockage of identified revenue leakages by the Tariff and Trade Department and Introduction of Nigeria Integrated Customs Information System II (NICIS-II).

“It also includes trade analysis and timely audit of the system to enhance revenue collection, among others.

“The Service has continued to sharpen its anti-smuggling strategies, resulting in spectacular seizures of arms and ammunitions, illicit drugs, rice, and vehicles, among others,’’ he said.

The PRO said the sustained onslaughts against smugglers had made them desperate and more inclined to mobilisng people to attack Customs operatives.

Attah said the ugly development clearly shows how little smugglers value national economy and security.

According to him, the Comptroller-General of Customs, retired Col. Hameed Ali, has warned that henceforth, NCS will not treat with levity any further attack on its operatives who are discharging their statutory functions.

He said in such situation, officers would not hesitate to use appropriate force to defend themselves and protect national interest.